The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, May 6, 2018

May 14 - 17, 1967


Sunday, May 14, 1967

Warm. A beautiful day. Got up, done up the work. Baby very cunning. We went up to the house. Came home, got a good boiled dinner. Holly called in p.m. Betty picked a trunk over. In p.m. Billie and I cleaned his car up. Fern, Lloyd called.



Monday, May 15, 1967

Rain. I washed. It was a miserable day. Gordon came up after supper and they put the windows into the house. Bill fixed my vacuum cleaner.



Tuesday, May 16, 1967

A nice day, on the cool side. I got the clothes in, wrote letter to Es. Sent Betty’s telephone bill. I cleaned the radiators in the kitchen and the old cookstove. We had dandelions for supper, they were delicious.



Wednesday, May 17, 1967 Ate supper on back porch first time

A beautiful day, on the windy side. I done up my work, cleaned up the house. Made a apple pie. Cleaned kitchen ceiling, washed porch windows. Aunt Ava called, she got some dandelions greens. I got some for supper. Carmen had a long nap. Mrs. Carter called. Bill, Carmen and I down to Dot and Dave’s in evening. We looked at a trailer.



No comments:

Post a Comment