The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, May 11, 2018

June 3 - 6,1967



Sunday, June 3, 1967

A hot day. I done up my work, Betty took me to town. I did my shopping. Billie up to Bethel with Lawrence. We did a dite of moving in p.m. Billie and Stanford went down and bought a couple of pigs for Stanford. Also a heifer. Bill and I called to Mr. Beatty’s to see a car.



Sunday, June 4, 1967

A very hot day. Betty and Carmen didn’t get up here too early. We done up the work, got ready for a cookout up to the new place. Billie fixed the pigpen up to the new place. Bill went to see Gordon about getting some work done so we can move in. They got the septic tank and got it in. Got the slat from Lakeside plumbing. Fern, Lloyd called and the Thomas’s. Dave cut his beef up today. 

Getting ready for a cook out at the new house

Nanny feeding me with Carmen


Monday, June 5, 1967 Heifers came tonight

Lilac picking - Betty, Carmen and Nanny



A very nice hot day. We washed. Went to town, called at Clyde Russell’s to see an automatic washer and a new electric stove. Paid the car insurance. Went up to the Sam Ridlon place. Betty, Carmen and I and got some lilacs. Got stuck in the mud. Came home, got supper. Betty made cookies, got the clothes in. Bill and Gordon went down and got rest of the material for the bathroom. Lawrence brought two heifers tonight.



Tuesday, June 6, 1967

Another nice day. I did my ironing and mending tonight. We left about 10 AM. Walt took Betty, Carmen and I to Howard Johnson’s for dinner. Wow. It was so good. Came home and did my bedroom curtains. After supper Bill, Billie, Carmen and I up to the house. They cleaned up all around. Gordon, Sal came up.


No comments:

Post a Comment