The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, May 27, 2018

August 6 - 9, 1967


Sunday, August 6, 1967

A cloudy dreary rainy day. I didn’t get up very early. Norma Gay called. Betty went to Lewiston to get her. Walt, Betty, Norma, Kim and Carmen here for supper. Es, Fern, the girls and I took Norma to Portland to meet the bus to go home. Es and Bob, Cathy, Sue, Billie, Walt, Betty and all here in evening. Bill and Billie hung new aluminum door fronts. Billie and I called at Uncle Lewis’s.



Monday, August 7, 1967

A very nice day. Sunny and hot. Betty, Carmen, Kim and I went to Pittsfield New Hampshire to look at a house. Betty and Walt are interested in. Came home, got supper. Bill and Billie help Dave to move a deep freeze Dave bought of Bill True. I went down to Dorothea’s.




Tuesday, August 8, 1967

A very nice day. Clouded up near night. I done up my work. Betty up, cleaned the car and washed. Aunt Ava called. In evening Bill and I called at Stanford’s. Betty, Walt and girls came up. I got $10 from Billie. A nice serving dish from Betty and Walt and a date book. A nice Papermate pen from Kim and a delicious box of candy from Carmen. Fern was here. Had coffee, ice cream.



Wednesday, August 9, 1967

Cloudy in a.m., cleared later. Fern and I went with Thena. We picked up Frances and all went to Kittery to see Lila. Had a very nice dinner and a good time. Allen’s wife and children called. Came home, stopped at shopping center in North Windham. Saw Jeff. Came home, got supper. Betty had to go to New Hampshire.

No comments:

Post a Comment