The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, May 25, 2018

July 29 - August 1, 1967 Betty's Wedding
















Saturday, July 29, 1967 Betty, Walt, Dorothea, Heidi

A nice day, hot. A rather exciting and happy day. Betty pleased and excited. A 4:30 PM Betty married one of the best man that ever was. Dorothea and Dave stood up with them. Married at the Justice of Peace in Raymond. Dorothea and Dave had a reception at their house. Very nice. Dorothea 30 years. Heidi got sick in p.m. and the little puppy died in the evening. We all loved her so much.


Sunday, July 30, 1967


I done up the work. Betty and Walt came, they took care of Heidi. They left about 11:30 for their wedding trip. Betty misses her puppy. Bill done quite a lot of shingling. Lloyd Fern called. Also Dave and family.



Monday, July 31, 1967


Foggy in a.m. It cleared and I washed. I didn’t do much work. Kind of a big letdown from having Kim. Esther and kids came up. We talked, got supper. Fern up in evening. Miss Betty, Kim and Heidi. Carmen kind of tired today.



Tuesday, August 1, 1967

I washed. Cleared off and was a nice day. I got my work done. Es came. Carmen and I to town with them. Went to Naples. Kids had a boat ride. Es and kids here for supper.



No comments:

Post a Comment