The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, May 18, 2018

July 1 - 4, 1967 Jeff Leave With His Father


Saturday, July 1, 1967

A very nice day, on the hot side. Dorothea and Jeff up here early to wait for Dennis to come for Jeff. Milan and Betty came at about 11:30. Betty, Carmen, Kim and Walt came. We done regular work. In p.m. about 4:30 Dennis and his wife came for Jeff. David and Dennis were introduced. Bill and I to town. All had a baked beans supper except Dennis and rest, they went along. Bob, Debbie and Laurie called in late p.m. Walt up for supper with us.



Sunday, July 2, 1967 Hot and Humid

A very nice day, but very humid. Got up, had breakfast, made the beds. Called at Fern and Lloyd’s. Aunt Ava’s. Betty stopped at the cemetery with Betty and Milan. Brought Kim home with me. Betty, Carmen and Walt on a trip up to Storyland New Hampshire. Fern and Lloyd called. Too hot to work. I made a salad for supper. We all just sat around thinking of Jeff most all day. Dorothea and Dave called. Mr. and Mrs. Stanford called.



Monday, July 3, 1967

Rained in a.m., cleared in PM. Up early. Got work done. Betty, Milan and I to town. Down to Betty’s. I brought Kim home. I washed. Betty up and washed. Billie and I down and got some meat from the deep freeze, turkey to cook. Milan and Betty away for the day and night. Betty and girls here for supper. A call from Dennis. They got home about 8 AM today. Jeff is happy. Ordered shoes for Bill and I.



Tuesday, July 4, 1967

A beautiful day, cool but sunny and warm. Bill and Billie put up rest of the insulation. I done up my regular work. Got my turkey ready and went down to Betty’s and got it to baking. In p.m. Dorothea, David, Betty, Milan, Ken, Delores, Fern and Lloyd here. We had a turkey dinner with fresh green peas. Betty and girls here and Kim stayed all night. We showed the slides in evening. Merle Reynolds called. Coming Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment