The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

May 6 - 10, 1959



Wednesday, May 6, 1959 Ava Keen’s birthday

Another nice day. Had Aunt Ava and Uncle Lewis over for birthday dinner and the day. They enjoyed it all very much. In evening Raymond, Joan, Karen and Rayburn called.



Thursday, May 7, 1959

A very nice day after some cloudiness in the early a.m. I cleaned Betty’s room and the yellow bedroom. Looks very nice. B. H. S. girls softball team played today. They won. I got a very pretty card for Mother’s Day from Dorothea and Dennis.



Friday, May 8, 1959

A nice day but awful windy, on the cold side. I got my housework done early and got upstairs to cleaning early. In p.m. Jean and Sally called. It held me up in my cleaning. Glad they called though. Jean is looking so much better, seems more relaxed. Bill and I to town in p.m. Bill got him some new shoes and a new cap.



Saturday, May 9, 1959

A very nice warm day. I done up my work, cooked. Washed kitchen floor. Dawn and Blanche called in a.m. Betty gone down in the woods, she and Lassie. Billie home at noon, didn’t have to go back. Lillian Allen called in p.m. to borrow Betty’s bike.



Sunday, May 10, 1959

A nice day. Bill and I went down to Jean’s and got some phlox and other plants to set out. Fern, Lloyd, Kennard, Bob, Blanche, Aunt Ava and Uncle Lewis called. Billie sprained his ankle again today. Forest fire over in Fryeburg side Pleasant Mountain. Mowed lane for first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment