The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

July 12 - 16, 1959 Allie's Birthday



Sunday, July 12, 1959

Hot and muggy, East wind. Bill mowed lawns. Billie helped and picked berries. In p.m. Aunt Ava and I went to Mr. (?) Ferguslees and Nona Stuarts wedding.
 


Monday, July 13, 1959

A warm drying day. Clothes dried good. I washed, done up the work. Pat Sangilo came today for two weeks visit. Letter from…. (end of diary entry).



Tuesday, July 14, 1959

A nice day, not too much bright sunshine. I cooked, ironed. Betty and Pat up to Dawn’s, downtown in evening. Billie sent first car payment. Kennie called this morning. Kennard called in evening. Milan telephone tonight Norma Gay will come up this weekend.



plus size boutique online, offers a variety of the latest fashion trendy women’s plus size clothing with best quality just for you!  


 Wednesday, July 15, 1959 Allie Myrtle McKeen Smith’s birthday

Another cloudy East wind day. Mama up to Aunt Ava’s for her birthday. I didn’t do much except to churn and cooked a dite. Kids up to Dawn’s in a.m., to movies in p.m. Fern, Lloyd and Bob called in evening, also Aunt Ava stopped when she brought Mama home.



Thursday, July 16, 1959

I done up the regular work. Then I cleaned the whole house. Paul came and cut rest of the hay. Billie and I up to Rado’s to get Betty’s radio. He didn’t get it done, so we came home without it. Betty and Pat camping down by the brook tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment