The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, May 9, 2016

May 1 - 5, 1959 Smelting Season



Friday, May 1, 1959

I done some cooking and then I cleaned up the back porch. And up in the top of barn. In p.m. got ready and went to town, paid some more bills. I sure haven’t done much this week. It has been a cloudy cold wet week anyway.



Saturday, May 2, 1959

A very nice day. I didn’t get much done today. Never do when they are all home. I cooked, cleaned up the kitchen, cleaned up the whole house. In p.m. Billie took me to town. I bought a tricycle for Billie Deming. Red and white. Billie fenced. Mike up in p.m. David called in a.m. Billie done some fencing. Judy had her calf about midnight.



Sunday, May 3, 1959

A nice sunny day. Bob came over and brought us over some smelts. Betty up late. Bill fixed up some things out in barn. Billie and Bobby did the fencing down in woods.



Monday, May 4, 1959

A very nice day. Kind of windy but not cold. I washed windows, mine and Aunt Ava’s. We churned. I cooked some, clothes dried good. Had smelts and fried parsnips for supper. I did the ironing after supper. Billie to the Lodge tonight. I hung clothes out back for second time. Billie to Lodge tonight.



Tuesday, May 5, 1959

Another nice day. I done up the work, done some more cooking. Picked and cleaned some greens (dandelions). They were so good. Mama sick today. Billie up country with Dennis, Horace Flint, up to northern Maine smelting tonight. Betty up to Dawn’s for supper.

No comments:

Post a Comment