The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, May 30, 2016

August 6 - 8, 1959 Nanny's 49th Birthday



Thursday, August 6, 1959

A nice day. Milan took Mama, Betty and I over to Pownal to see Donnie. Dolores went to. Donnie looked better than he did last time we were over there. I was so glad to see Donnie. Milan, Norma and Betty called at Ferns today. Milan and Betty all out tonight.


Sizzling Exotic Meats and More 



Friday, August 7, 1959

A cloudy day. Some rain showers. Done up the housework. In p.m. Milan, Betty and I all went shopping. Raymond over and watched game. In evening Bill and I down to Jean’s.



Saturday, August 8, 1959 Althea Green Smith Crook’s birthday

A nice day. Milan, Betty and kids (Betty and Norma) out boat riding today. In evening Milan, Betty, Billie, Betty C and Norma and Fern and Lloyd gave me a very nice birthday party at Fern and Lloyd’s. Mr. Yates and Aunt Ava there. Had so many nice gifts and a good time. Got $20 in money, dress, broom and (?) come for stove and a very pretty cake. Bill mad at me, I don’t know why.




Nanny, Norma, Billy, Betty, Bill, Bob, Lloyd, Betty - seated Ava and Fern



Brothers Bob and Milan


No comments:

Post a Comment