The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, May 5, 2016

April 9 - 15, 1959



Thursday, April 9, 1959

Rain today. Billie didn’t work. I done a little cooking. Billie and I over to Aunt Ava’s. We helped them do their work. She isn’t much better. We went to town in p.m. for her and myself. Billie did their chores in late p.m. and took her over to doctors. Kennard here in p.m. I cleaned up the house upstairs. Kay up tonight and David. Cold.



Friday, April 10, 1959 Sally Weymouth’s birthday

I cooked again. Cleaned up the whole house, cooked also. Billie over to help Aunt Ava this a.m. and p.m. Betty got her new glasses today. Jean called and talked today. Kind of cold and cloudy.



Saturday, April 11, 1959

A mean nasty gray day, cloudy, foggy and rain showers all day. I cooked, done up the housework. Billie, Betty and I to town. Betty to a birthday party tonight. Bobby called in evening. This past week has been a miserable one. Betty home all day.



Sunday, April 12, 1959 Dolores 56 today

My tooth swollen. Got dinner. Betty done dishes. Billie and I called at Dawn’s and Dolores’s. Mike and Betty gone for a walk. Fern, Lloyd, Bob, Blanche and Raymond here.



Monday, April 13, 1959

A nice sunny day. I washed. Billie finished up down to Hayd’s. He done the chores over to Keen’s again tonight. Betty up to Dawn’s in evening. Mama and I picked a basket of papers etc. over that were up in the shed chamber.



Tuesday, April 14, 1959

A very nice day. I ironed, cooked. Went to town. Aunt Ava here in p.m. Billie and I called at Aunt Ava’s and Uncle Lewis’s. They are both lame. Aunt Ava didn’t get well over her lameness very well. Mike up after school. Billie did the rest of the raking out back.



Wednesday, April 15, 1959

A very nice day. I got my work done up and went upstairs and cleaned out some bureau draws. Billie smelting tonight. Betty home all evening.


No comments:

Post a Comment