The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, May 20, 2016

June 24 - 28, 1959




Billie and Susan on Old Fanny with Lloyd

Lloyd with Billie and Old Fan

Susan riding Fan


Wednesday, June 24, 1959

A very nice day. I done some more work upstairs. Got all done. Esther and children went down to Ferns just before supper. I pity them, they are so homesick. I hated to see them go but I know Fern wants them to visit with them too. Dawn and Jerry called in p.m.



Thursday, June 25, 1959 Dr. Gregory P Nash came here to board

A partly cloudy day. I finished cleaning upstairs, downstairs. In p.m. I got clothes changed. Watched my program. Bill came and was going to North Conway with berries. I went with him. After got home, Carlton and Phyllis and girls were here to say goodbye. Also Allen Nash called to say his father was coming so Dr. Nash came back here to the board for the second time. Betty came home tonight with a bad cold.



Friday, June 26, 1959

Cloudy and rain showers. I done up the work. In late p.m. to town. Over to Harrison and paid house insurance. Called at Fern and Lloyd’s. When got home Raymond was here. Bill and Dr. Nash and Raymond listen to the champion fight.



Saturday, June 27, 1959

Another rainy or cloudy day. I cooked, done up the work. In p.m. I washed. Susan up for supper tonight. Robert Grover died this p.m. at Stephens Memorial Hospital at Norway Maine.





Canned Black Bear

No comments:

Post a Comment