The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, May 21, 2016

June 29 - July 3, 1959 Cliff Surprises His Family



Monday, June 29, 1959 Robert A Smith’s birthday

I washed. In p.m. it cleared off. In p.m. Thena and I went to Robert Grover’s funeral. Ava and Merle felt so awful bad. Too bad.



Tuesday, June 30, 1959 


(Written by Susan)
This morning at Aunt Ferns I sat on the picnic table and over it went. Mom, Billie and me up to the farm. I went down to Aunt Dolores’s. Mama called up from farm and said I am going to fill tub up and I said wait for me.

(Written by Nanny)
Susan stayed up here tonight for all night. This is what Susan wrote in the diary tonight.

(Written by Susan)
We had a cookout. At Lloyd.



Wednesday, July 1, 1959

A nice day. I pick strawberries. Susan and Lessica helped. Clouded up tonight. Betty (?) Gloria and brother and sister called. Bill took Esther and Fern downtown before supper. Froze 4 quarts strawberries.



Thursday, July 2, 1959

Susan up here. She and I down through the woods to Ferns.



Friday, July 3, 1959

Well this a.m., Es and children came up, we pick some berries and talked. At about 12:30 we got a great surprise. Cliff and Fern drove in. How glad Es and kids was to see him. They went back down to Ferns. Bill and I went to town before supper. In eve, Es, Cliff and kids came up, also Fern, Lloyd, Ken and Dolores, Bob and Raymond.

No comments:

Post a Comment