The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, May 8, 2016

April 26 - 30, 1959 Billie Begins New Job



Sunday, April 26, 1959 DAY LITE Time, I hate it

Cloudy. Billie helped Dennis in a.m. Bill worked on car. Betty up to Dawn’s. Mike up in p.m. Billie and I over to Blanche’s. She fixed Billie’s pants. Came home and cut Bill’s and Mama’s hair. Fern, Lloyd called.



Monday, April 27, 1959 Billie to work new Job

Cloudy and cold. Billie went to work at Redfield’s with Dennis Chadbourne. I washed. Betty began softball practice tonight. I sent pictures to Esther today. A new job for Billie at Walton Redfield’s. I hung clothes out back for first time.



Tuesday, April 28, 1959

On the cold side. I ironed and cooked, read the papers. Aunt Ava called in p.m. She didn’t look very well. I can’t clean house because my vacuum cleaner hose isn’t fixed yet. Bill got a clamp for it tonight but it didn’t fit. Betty up to Dawn’s for supper and the night. Sunny all day.



Wednesday, April 29, 1959

Cloudy and rained. Still no vacuum cleaner. I just done regular work. Wrote a letter to Susan. Bill down to Jean’s tonight. Billie up to Horseshoe Pond smelting tonight. Betty up to Dawn’s. Lloyd and Kennard called after supper.



Thursday, April 30, 1959

Well another day and I haven’t done much either. I have picked over a few of my papers, boxes etc. Aunt Ava isn’t very good. Dolores also.

No comments:

Post a Comment