The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, May 12, 2016

May 18 - 22, 1959



Monday, May 18, 1959 LETTER and Picture

A letter from Adair’s after several weeks. Also the cutest picture of our grandson Jeffrey. He is a sweet smart baby. I washed and ironed, also pressed kitchen curtains. Jean, Sally and girls called in p.m. Jean bought a monument of Raymond’s today.



Tuesday, May 19, 1959

I began on the kitchen today, done most of the cupboards. In evening up to Bob’s, down to hospital to see Blanche. It came off hot today. Billie put cows in pasture for first time tonight. Betty home all evening.



Wednesday, May 20, 1959

A very hot day. I finished cleaning the kitchen. Late when I got it done. Billie got a haircut. Betty up to Dawn’s and Holly’s. Lillian Rand came home with Betty after school. Cows out all day.



 



 Thursday, May 21, 1959 Holly Kathleen Smart’s birthday

A nice day, very hot. I cleaned the back porch and grain room. That finished my cleaning for the spring.



Friday, May 22, 1959

Hot. I finished up my cleaning outside. Kennard up in p.m. to get some manure. Bill didn’t work in a.m. It was raining in early a.m., cleared off in forenoon. Two planes went through here this a.m. and broke the sound barrier. What a noise. In p.m. Bill and I went to town. Betty to movies in evening. Raymond over here. We sat on the porch.

No comments:

Post a Comment