The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

May 11 - 17, 1959



Monday, May 11, 1959

A very nice day. It came off so awful HOT. We ate on the porch for the first time tonight. I washed and ironed. Billie home all day. His ankle very bad. Betty stayed for ball practice. The ring came today. Dennis called in to see Billie tonight.



Tuesday, May 12, 1959

Another nice hot day. I cleaned Mama’s room, the bathroom, cellar way, and small hallway. It showered in late p.m. We need the rain so bad. It is so awful dry. Been bad forest fires. Rained last night in the night.



Wednesday, May 13, 1959

Cold, cloudy and showers. In late p.m. cleared off. Today I cleaned the living room. Also washed the curtains. Betty’s softball team played ball tonight at Potter. BHS beat 20 –(?) I churned late this p.m. Billie up to a steamed clam supper.



Friday, May 15, 1959 Lewis L Keen birthday

A cloudy cold day. I cleaned the dining room. Also in p.m. I washed. After Bill got home he and I went to town. Billie worked for Chet tonight. Betty and Kay gone to dance or movies with Jerry and Mike.



Saturday, May 16, 1959

Cloudy and cold, awful cold. I cooked. Billie turned COWS out for first time this p.m. Betty, Kay, Mike and Jerry went on a picnic.



Sunday, May 17, 1959

Cold all day. Bill did the plowing. I set out dahlias. Henry Peterson called, also Fern and Lloyd. Billie worked for Chet.

No comments:

Post a Comment