The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, January 4, 2024

May 7 - 9, 1988 Mother's Day

 

Saturday, May 7, 1988

 

At last a real nice summer like day. I done up the regular work. I washed the floors. I did the ironing. I made some bread and rolls. Eddie called today. He is a nice guy. I like him very much. He was helping Kim to get her lot cleared up and there for supper. Walt sold his trailer today. Zack came up and greased the back hoe and put oil in it. Well Betty has let the shelter today and will be expecting to move out the first day of July. I hate to see her move. Also don’t know what Carmen will do. Time will tell. Billie got his reimbursement check back $99.90.

 


 

 

Sunday, May 8, 1988 Mother’s Day

 

A very nice sunny day, very mild. I done up regular work. Walt up for breakfast coffee. I went up to camp with Betty. Walt and Zack hauled up some tables, chairs etc. Dorothea called and Betty, Kim and Carmen. I got money from Betty, Billie, candy from Carmen and Brogan and beautiful cards. An orchid from Brogan, hand lotion also. Barry down to Betty’s to talk about a place for the kids.

 

 

 

Monday, May 9, 1988

 

A very nice and sunny day. Very warm. Betty and Kim came, they cleaned the house all over, put up the curtains and living room. I made a chicken dinner and had Kim and Zack for supper. They both loved it and ate well. Billie went to Portland on that long waited for business to the lawyers. Walt drove him down. Also he got his big refund check $2040. What a relief that is.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment