The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, January 27, 2024

August 1 - 4, 1988 Nanny's Cataract Surgery

 

Monday, August 1, 1988 Had my eye cataract removed

 

Up early to Portland, got that thing taken care of. Got home about 3 PM. Dorothea took care of Bill, he is doing quite well. She knows just what to do and does very well. We got home Esther had a most delicious supper. Susan had supper with us. Esther is such a help. Cares for Bill and helps me. Billie Deming was here a little while, I want here. Betty Smith to Westbrook with us. Today we all got very nice pictures of Zak. He looked like a million to me. Dorothea and David called this evening. We was glad to see him.

 

 

 

Tuesday, August 2, 1988 Talked with Zack tonight

 

Betty up here for me early this morning. Esther went with us. I’m okay as of now. The Dr. was satisfied with my eye. We got back early from the doctor. Betty S spent the afternoon with us. It was a red hot day. Bill is better. Dr. Mascia came to see him tonight. We had company this evening. David came again. Carmen and Brogan came. Zack called this evening. It is so good to talk with him. Billie had a busy day. We watched TV shows in PM. Bill also.

 

 

Wednesday, August 3, 1988 HOT SUSAN LEFT

 

Another one of those awful hot and humid days. Esther made brownies. Got a good supper. Squash, string beans, cold boiled ham etc. I just sat around all day. Eye is coming good, will be glad when I get back to normal. Susan left for Ohio for a weeks vacation and to attend her class reunion. Billie did the lawns this awful hot day.

 

 

 

Thursday, August 4, 1988

 

Another HOT ONE. I will be glad when we come to the end of this terrific hot weather. Billie and Esther gone to Oxford to get blueberries. Susan called this morning. Dorothea here this forenoon. Gave Bill the works, bath, shaved, clean bedding etc. Carmen came. Jeff Smith and his wife Helen called. Betty H, Dorothea came for a while.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment