The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, January 3, 2024

May 4 - 6, 1988

Wednesday, May 4, 1988 Hair Set

 

I got my work done up and went down and got my hair set. I came home and got to watch the soaps. Billie busy all day. It was mostly cloudy all day. Betty got her dining room and breezeway done today.

 


 

 

Thursday, May 5, 1988 CHICKENS, DOROTHEA TOOK TEST TODAY

 

A very nice sunny mild day and very warm. I cleaned the refrigerator on porch and started it to going. I made a pudding. Got ready, went down to Betty’s. I helped her in the kitchen. Kim was there. She helps some and got Betty’s supper started. She got at most done. She and the girls will finish the kitchen and utility room tomorrow. Billie got a lot more of his jobs done today. The chickens came today. 26. They all were living and in good condition. Dennis had Brogan today while Carmen worked. Dorothea took her test today at Augusta.

 

 


 

Friday, May 6, 1988

 

It was cloudy today. I did a wash, made two pies, a apple for Kay and a lemon meringue pie. It was very good. I had a good supper, fish etc. I went down and helped Betty to do some jobs today. Brogan came and saw the chickens today. She was very excited about them.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment