The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, January 21, 2024

July 9 - 12, 1988

Saturday, July 9, 1988 A WICKED HOT DAY

 

This has been one of the hottest days yet. I didn’t do much regular work, washed floor. Then went to the yard sale at Betty Smith’s. By Carmen, Kim, Betty and Betty. They did well. All was up to camp most of the day also tonight. Carmen, Dennis and Brogan called. Brogan looks so cute in her bathing suit. Bill had another uncomfortable day. We miss Zack. I do anyway. I think of him all the time. Dorothea called in evening.

 

 

 

Sunday, July 10, 1988

 

Very hot day. We went up to camp. Miss Zack being around. It was very nice up to Twin Oaks today. They all enjoyed being in the Lake. Brogan had a ball. Dennis and Carmen gave her a good time. Kim and Carmen didn’t have to work. We finally had a big heavy shower and a lot of rain which we needed.

 

 

 

Monday, July 11, 1988 Zack

 

I did a wash. It is still hot. It is untold agony. I had chicken and peas tonight for supper. The garden is showing the effects of that rain. Carmen had to work all day. Tonight we heard Zak’s voice on the phone. It sounded good. He is doing well. Told Betty he had written to them. I wish him the best of luck.

 

 

 

Tuesday, July 12, 1988

 

Continued hot. I got the work done up. Carmen came early and brought Brogan. I entertained her till Betty came. Betty H, Betty S and Brogan and I all went for a long ride. Betty got Brogan a pool and some clothes and shoes. Carmen called on Zenya tonight. Zak started basic training today. He told us last night.

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment