The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, January 11, 2024

June 2 - 5, 1988

 

Thursday, June 2, 1988

 

Carmen came and worked over to Betty’s. Kim began work painting on Brogan’s house. Eddie will come and start to paint the outside. I done some odd and end jobs.

 

 

 

Friday, June 3, 1988

 

It was a fair day. Some clouds. I done up regular work. Got ready and went down to the undertaker Steve Wentworth. Signed the papers for the removal of the bodies. Betty H, Betty S and I all went down to North Windham. Kim was here. When the checks came she took them down to the bank. We had Italian sandwiches. Billie to Dr. Goldenhar for his toe nails, cut etc. Kim painted at the Brogan home today.

 

 

 

Saturday, June 4, 1988 DUG GRAVES

 

A quite nice day. We were able to be on the porch all day. I done the regular work, washed floors, swept, dusted, cleaned my chairs, made rolls. Went over to the Cemetery with Betty, Carmen and Brogan. Also up to Joy’s. We called up to Dorothea’s. Billie mowed his lawn. Today they dug a grave for Mama, Papa and Dorothea Gammon to be moved back to this new Cemetery on the farm. Homeland Cemetery. Eddie painted the new home a coat of paint. Brogan stayed at Betty’s tonight.

 

 

 

Sunday, June 5, 1988

 

Not much going on, there was plenty of dark black clouds around, some showers. It was cold, windy. I worked at my desk. Kim and Brogan came.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment