The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, January 10, 2024

May 29 - June 1, 1988

Sunday, May 29, 1988

 

It dawned sunny and clear today. It was not so hot because there was a breeze. Carmen, Brogan and Kim called. All up to camp Twin Oaks for the first cookout. It was very hot, some wind. Bill didn’t go. Kassie and I went up with Sahara and Kim. Kassie enjoyed swimming.

 




 

 

Monday, May 30, 1988

 

I did the washing.

 

 

 

Tuesday, May 31, 1988

 

This has been a nice day. Carmen and Brogan came. She cleaned. Went to town and done the shopping. Betty Smith came with her and went to town with Carmen. While she was here I tried on my dresses. She, Betty Smith, is going to fix them. Betty, Carmen and Brogan here for lunch. Zack called on his way home from school.

 

 

 

Wednesday, June 1, 1988

 

A quite nice day. Sunny, warm and kind of on the windy side. I made two pies. I did my ironing. I cleaned the old teakettle for the Heritage Room. Also like cleaned and done some other odd and end jobs. I went to Norway with Betty, Carmen and Brogan to get the seeds. They, Betty and Carmen, got all their garden done. Carmen and Brogan here for supper. I had roast beef, onions, peas, rhubarb pie. Kim painted the Playhouse and guess what appeared. Old adder snake there. That worries me. Bill not too hot today. He was in bed most of the day.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment