The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, January 2, 2024

April 30- May 3, 1988

Saturday, April 30, 1988

 

Cloudy again most of the day with heavy rain showers. I been busy all day. Made a layer cake, rolls, baked beans. Washed floors, swept and dusted. Carmen and Brogan came also Zack. And also David called for a social call first time in a long time. Bill watched ballgame. I hope he won’t continue that all rest of the summer. Betty and Walt gone out this PM. Carmen and Brogan having company for supper.

 

 

 

Sunday, May 1, 1988

 

The time is going by so fast. I wish it didn’t. Well another cloudy rainy miserable day. I didn’t do much. I was down to Horton’s for a while. Brogan came, she is just like a beautiful pink Mayflower. Betty and the whole family helped set out her flowers today. This evening she and Betty S did her shed chamber. I made out the bills today.

 


 

 

Monday, May 2, 1988

 

Another one of those awful cloudy dreary days and rain. I got the washing done early. I cooked a roast pork. I did some work at the desk. I love the desk since it is done over.

 

 

 

Tuesday, May 3, 1988

 

Checks came. $175 and $413. I have washed and done the ironing. Carmen came and did the cleaning. I done some other jobs. Made a mince pie. Walt got his tractor today. He has a lot of work to do over on his lots with it.

 

 


 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment