The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, January 23, 2024

July 17 - 20, 1988

Sunday, July 17, 1988

 

This is been quite a day. No one here, only just one for dropping in. Dorothea called to give Bill a bath. But no he didn’t.

 

 

 

Monday, July 18, 1988 HAY CAME

 

A busy day. I did the washing. Carmen came. She did a lot of extra cleaning today. I was busy also. Billie’s hay came. It wasn’t all there. I went to Dr. Petrone for the physical to have my eye fixed August 1. Bill not too good. Brogan is very cute all the time. Betty came up for a call. She had Brogan today. She and I went up to Dorothea’s tonight. I visited with Fern. They done some odds and end jobs. Carmen got Bill to clean up some and trimmed his hair.

 

 

 

Tuesday, July 19, 1988 Zack Called, Esther Coming

 

David called. A mostly cloudy day, rain in some places. I been busy all day. I washed, ironed, made a cake, a lot of odd and end jobs. Esther is coming today for a few weeks. To go to the wedding up to New Hampshire, Kathy Smith and (blank) which is July 20. Betty S and Susan are going to meet Esther at the airport. David called this morning for a little while. He is on vacation. Zack called this morning. He is in the hospital with eye problem. A very bad headache. He gave me his address so we can all write him. Bill is a dite better today.

 

 

 

Wednesday, July 20, 1988 Bill to Dr.

 

Esther’s first day here. We talked a lot, she took care of her luggage. Susan came, cut my hair and Bills. Also cut Carmen and Brogans. She did a good job. Betty took Bill to the doctors today. He is very weak and sick. We had cold roast beef for supper. Carmen didn’t work today. Brogan likes that. She misses Carmen when she has to go to work.

 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment