The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, October 5, 2023

June 7 - 10, 1987

 

Sunday, June 7, 1987

 

A nice day. I got all my papers and magazines read. We went over to Carmen’s to get some things with Betty, also Zack and Walt hauled some wood from where she lives now to her new home. Walt didn’t come up for breakfast, he was sick. Zack mowed lawns down there then the machine stopped. They had to finish with the hand mower. Billie went down and helped. Betty and Milan called.

 


 

 

Monday, June 8, 1987

 

It rained all day. I did a washing, made a custard for supper. I went to Carmen’s with Betty, also Betty Smith went over, helped her clean her China closet and washed the dishes. Came home, had a bad shower. Watched soaps. I didn’t do very much. I went to bed early. Bill been reading all day. Dorothea and David up to New Hampshire. Milan called.

 

 

 

Tuesday, June 9, 1987

 

When we got up early it was nice and sunny and clear. It clouded up, very showery looking at times but no rain. Sunny a lot today also. I done up the work, washed the porch windows. I cleaned the refrigerator on breezeway. I did the ironing. Carmen and Betty called, they took my mattress from the back porch to have it refilled. Dennis worked in the garden. Billie mowed again today. Zack came up and did the trimming for Billie. A fair day. Bill been reading. Arthur Andrews house came today.

 

 

 

Wednesday, June 10, 1987

 

A quite nice day, a lot of clouds and windy. Not too cold. I did some washing. Carmen came and cleaned. Dennis worked in his garden. Billie fixed the tractor today. Bill down town. Betty and Brogan called in a.m. Zack and Brogan called after school. Zack took the truck to school today.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment