The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, October 19, 2023

July 28 - August 1, 1987 Dorothea turns 50

Tuesday, July 28, 1987

 

Another very nice day, sunny and regular temps. Billie still in hospital, his foot is full of the infection. He may have the toe taken off tomorrow. I don’t know why he had to have this trouble. He is ambitious and likes to get things done. Today I went to Oxford with Betty and girls. Milan and Betty called today. I did some more boxes of pictures of Betty’s. Cut David’s hay today.

 

 

Wednesday, July 29, 1987 Dorothea 50 tonight

 

Dorothea celebrates a 50th birthday today. Time moves on and we all go with it. I don’t like to think of them all getting older. I or we have had our days. We are in the danger zone. This is been another very nice sunny day, very cool this morning early. Bill mowed millet. Today Billie had his other toe taken off. He has been very sick.

 

 

 

Thursday, July 30, 1987 Billie home from NCMH

 

 

 

I done regular work, did a dite of washing. Billie came home from NCM hospital. He is very relieved he has had his toe off. He feels better too. Carmen up here for supper tonight. She worked at Betty’s doing the building, Bill helped too. Brogan has been so good today.

 

 

 

Friday, July 31, 1987

 

The last day of July. Hate to see the time go. It has been very good weather for the past week. I been doing odd jobs, got s beans. Carmen called. They worked on the little building in PM. Betty and Kim to Norway. She took the dogs over to have them treated for fleas, groomed etc. Kassie missed them. Billie’s first day home since he has his toe off Wednesday morning. He feels much better than a week ago. The girls all up to camp tonight, too cold to stay all night.

 

 

 

Saturday, August 1, 1987

 

Another very nice day. Cool, sunny. I didn’t feel very good. I ate something that hurt me and made my stomach upset all night. I didn’t do much today. Carmen, Betty and Dorothea all called. They help do the cleaning, washed floors, dishes. Billie got the supper. I got the beans in and baked them. I fixed bed. Billie’s foot is sore but that awful pain is gone. A big relief, he has had since he had it removed. Kim and Eddie gone on a trip up to Vermont. I’m glad as they never was there before. And will see many interesting places.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment