The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, October 14, 2023

July 9 - 12, 1987

Thursday, July 9, 1987 HOT AND HUMID

 

This has been a very hot and humid. Didn’t do much, I washed. Gordon Weeks called. He may come to hay next week. I didn’t do much. Zack to school. We got some Italian sandwiches for supper. Billie got some raspberries. Betty and Brogan up for breakfast. Carmen to work. Bill watched the Col. North hearings.

 

 

 

Friday, July 10, 1987

 

Another very HOT AND HUMID day. I didn’t do much. Bill watched the Contra hearings all day. I went down to Betty’s this a.m. They, Carmen, Kim and Zack made some root beer. Betty helped too. Carmen and Kim swept and dusted Betty’s downstairs. Brogan was there, she is a sweet smart bright eyed little girl. Carmen and Dennis picked beet greens. Carmen and I picked them over, Betty froze them.

 

 

Saturday, July 11, 1987

 

A mostly cloudy day, it was hot and humid but the haze kept the sun from being so bright and it want bad. I didn’t get up till 6:30. I done my regular work, washed floors. I was going to make some brownies. Dorothea called, wanted to know if I wanted to go to the parade, Old Home Days at Harrison. I went, Bill didn’t. Fern and Betty S too. Betty and Walt went. They sat with us. Dorothea and Betty S went swimming. Billie mowed lawns again today. They look so nice. Zack gone to Old Orchard Beach today. Jeff Hauser went with him. Also Kim and friend Joleen Bell went away today. Bill watched ballgames.

 

 

 

Sunday, July 12, 1987

 

Foggy all day. Miserable. Well I worked on my checks etc. Then I watched soaps that had been postponed during the government hearings. They put them on from 3 to 6 PM. Haven’t seen Kim all weekend. It has been so hot and humid. Zack down to Old Orchard Beach today. His friend didn’t go as he had planned.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment