The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, July 28, 2023

September 24 - 26, 1986 Newborn Filly

 

Wednesday, September 24, 1986 little filly born shower for Carmen

 

They had a baby shower at the hospital for Carmen today. She got a lot of nice useful gifts. Very pretty and nice. She called here tonight on her way home. Betty was here. Carmen went and did the (blank). Last night in the night a little baby colt was born at the farm. Bill and I got to see her. She is very pretty. Billie down to see it after supper.

 

 





 

Thursday, September 25, 1986 Billie to hospital for his toe.

 

Milan took Billie this morning. He had another toe taken off. I’ve been busy all day, watched shows. Bill reading all day. He and I down to see the little colt. I came home, got ready for the man to come to fix the faucet. He didn’t come. I got most of the work done and watched soaps. Milan called. I wrote a letter and sent Kim. Carmen did the shopping today.

 

 

 

Friday, September 26, 1986

 

I been busy all day, washed, made out some bills. Betty got a lame back problem again. Randy and his wife came to help her with the chores. Also Carmen called and helped her do some cleaning. Bill to town this morning. Dorothea and Iva called tonight. I watched TV soaps. I defrosted refrigerator, cleaned the stove oven, and washed the windows on the breezeway.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment