The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, July 25, 2023

September 13 - 16, 1986

 

Saturday, September 13, 1986 Eddie and Kim came tonight

 

The nicest sunny day we have had in a very very long time. It was warm and comfortable. I done up my work. Washed floors. Cooked a squash for a pie tomorrow. Also made a cake. Walt working. Betty been busy all day. Billie went with David to Norway to get his car checked. He mowed lawns all afternoon. Missed Zack a lot. He is usually around on weekends. Phyllis called in late PM. About 6 PM Kim and Eddie came. They are going to move some things up to the shelter. Eddie is working. Kim has applied. Bill reading all day.

 

 

 

Sunday, September 14, 1986 Sunny, Kim and Eddie here for dinner and Carmen

 

Today Kimmy and Eddie got all their things hauled up to the shelter to store for the winter. Then they came up here for a late dinner. Also had Carmen, but it was late when she came. Her supper want too good. I hope she enjoyed it though. Walt and Betty gone on a job this PM. Milan came for a little while. Been thinking of Zack all day. Still miss him a lot too. I hope he is happy and content.

 

 

 

Monday, September 15, 1986

 

A nice day. I been busy, washed etc. Done some odd jobs. Bill to town. Lida Brackett called all PM. She talked, had a nice visit. Betty called and Milan called.

 

 

 

Tuesday, September 16, 1986

 

It was cloudy in a.m. but cleared beautifully but it was very cold. I done a lot of odd jobs. Carmen came, cleaned the house. I prepared and cooked a boiled dinner. Milan went down and got the meat for me this morning. Billie to the Dr. Goldenhar’s for his foot. He made an appointment to see Dr. Doyle Thursday. Things don’t look very good. Bill has got to go to Portland Thursday for his throat. They came and did the horses at Betty’s today. I ironed.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment