The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, July 3, 2023

June 28 - July 1, 1986 Nanny Home From The Hospital

 

Saturday, June 28, 1986

 

I got up, done up my housework. Made rolls, washed floors etc. I had a dite of dizziness in forenoon. In middle of day I got very sick to my stomach, very dizzy. Carmen and Dennis came over. They helped picked berries. I got real far out. I couldn’t get supper. Carmen helped. Betty and Walt out looking for a new truck. I went down to hospital in late PM. Awful sick. I’m taking a lot of pills. They make me sick.

 

 

 

Sunday, June 29, 1986

 

A very nice day, sunny. I felt better when I got up down to the hospital. May go home. I had a lot of company at the hospital. A lot of people came to see the lady next to me. I didn’t come home tonight.

 

 

 

Monday, June 30, 1986 NEW TOYOTA TRUCK, HORSES CAME HOME

 

A nice day, on the windy side. I came home this morning from NCM Hospital. I been busy, not much hard work after I got home. Bill and Billie picked berries. The horses came back home today after being gone for about a month. Tonight Walt came home in a brand-new Toyota truck. It is very pretty. A deep garnet with stripes. Zack took me for a ride in it. I am taking a lot of pills. They make me sick. Charlene called today. She brought some books for Bill to read.

 

 

 

Tuesday, July 1, 1986

 

A quite nice day. It was a dite on windy side. I did the wash and defrosted refrigerator. Carmen and Dennis called, she got the lunch. Zack working at Milan’s. Billie got a knife on the mowing machine. Walt to work in the new truck. Betty went to Portland with Kathy Wolff this morning to get the old truck. Then she, Joy and Betty all went antiquing. I felt okay today. Dorothea called tonight.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment