The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, July 8, 2023

July 16 - 19, 1986

 

Wednesday, July 16, 1986

 

Another nice day. Billie and Zack hauled Carmen’s hay and bedding back over today. Also did other jobs. In PM Billie to Dr. Goldenhar. He gave him an appointment to get a bone scan on his toe. He said the poison had got into the bone. He will have to have it taken off. Billie cooked T-bones on the grill, we had Zack up. They were very good. Zack over to the driving school again tonight.

 


 

 

Thursday, July 17, 1986

 

A nice sunny day, on the hot side, muggy. Billie and Zack hauled the bedding for his and Betty’s. Carmen and Dennis called. They went up to the lake and took the dogs. I didn’t do too much. I wrote out a recipe for Kim. Looked over my old recipes. Bill to the Dr. for checkup. He is okay now.

 

 

 

Friday, July 18, 1986

 

A quite nice day. Billie and Zack did a few odd jobs then Billie got ready and went to the doctors. He has to go back to Dr. Goldenhar’s next Wednesday. That will tell the story about having the other toe off. I watched my soaps today, had a fish supper. It has been very hot. Carmen went to town for me this morning. Zack working all day up to the shelter. Betty H and Betty S cleaned it.

 

 

 

Sunday, July 19, 1986

 

A kind of cloudy day. I done up my work, vacuumed, washed floors. Saturday cleaning. I baked some very good beans R.K. Billie got the lawns all mowed. Bill read all day. Milan called this morning. Betty called, she and I up to see the shelter since they cleaned it. Also I went down to see the new rug in the new bathroom. It looks nice. Betty S and Carmen cleaned the cottage over to the Lake today.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment