The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, July 7, 2023

July 12 - 15, 1986

Saturday, July 12, 1986 Back in the Clouds and Rain

 

Well, a kind of miserable day once again. I didn’t do too much. Up to the sale at the shelter a couple times.

 


 

 

Sunday, July 13, 1986

 

Well another miserable day, cloudy most of the day. Some rain showers during the day. It cleared off some. We went up to camp for a dite of cookout. I had made a cake so I took that up. Milan called a minute.

 

 

 

Monday, July 14, 1986 LETTER AND SNAPS FROM KIM, EYE TEST, New Rug

 

Well a very miserable day, cloudy and rain. It rained so hard most of the day. I got my wash to going early. Got it all done before 10 AM except drying a couple pieces. Went to Casco, Dr. Gordon’s and got my eyes tested and fitted to glasses. Betty took me. Came home, got a stew started for supper. Got lunch, watched soaps. Bill didn’t do much today either, Billie out and in. They came and put Betty’s new floor covering in her bathroom. David back to work after being home for two weeks sick. Got another nice letter from Kim and pictures. She is having a good time. Carlton and Phyllis came.

 

 

 

Tuesday, July 15, 1986 MAMA’S Birthday

 

This has been a quite nice day. After all the old clouds and rain. Got up this morning and the sun was shining. Betty, Carmen and I over to Shop and Save and did a lot of shopping. I defrosted refrigerator. I did my ironing before I went away. Dennis still sick. Carmen didn’t feel very good. She is so congested and hard to breathe. Billie and Zack hauled Billie’s hay today.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment