The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, July 15, 2023

August 10 - 13, 1986 Birthday Party for Nanny at Twin Oaks

 

Sunday, August 10, 1986 Sunshine today, Birthday Party for me at Twin Oaks

 

Well at last we saw the sun today. A beautiful day in late PM. Then got kind of cloudy. I got up about 7:30. Got my work done, went up to Twin Oaks for another birthday by Betty and Walt and Zack. It was a nice sunny (day). Had hot dogs, hamburgers. Milan brought his gas grill which made it nice to use. Milan, Betty, Carmen, Betty, Walt, Zack, Dorothea, Dave and Fern, Joy, Cindy, later Carlton and Phyllis and me. All the family dogs. I had money and candy and cards. It was very nice. Kim may come home Saturday.

 




 



 

Monday, August 11, 1986 Zack to LRHS for a 10 day math class

 

Later in the day it cleared off and became a real nice day, quite on the mild side. This morning Zack began a 10 day class at LRHS to make a passing grade for his algebra before he goes to the military school in Woodstock, Virginia. Betty and I go down to pick him up. Bill takes him down. Carmen came and cleaned up the house today. She does a good job. Looks nice. I washed. Billie to Dr. for his foot, he thought it was coming okay. The doctors said would have to watch it.

 

 

 

Tuesday, August 12, 1986 KIM LEFT FOR HOME

 

Today Indonesia time Kim left for home. That is so good. She will get to Boston on August 14 our time. I shampooed my hair this morning. I cleaned the oven. In PM I went and got my permanent. Been thinking about Kim.

 

 

 

Wednesday, August 13, 1986

 

After being very foggy this forenoon it cleared. I done up regular work, went down with Betty to get Zack. They caught rest of David’s hay. I hope they can get it in tomorrow. Well Kim is somewhere on her way home. We don’t know where. She is going to Hong Kong, to Tokyo, the foreign lands.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment