The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, July 10, 2023

July 24 - 27, 1986

 

Thursday, July 24, 1986 getting David’s hay in tonight

 

Another hot day. I got my work done, watched my morning shows. Got ready. Billie, Zack and I over to Oxford to get some vegetables. Got some more peas, potatoes and cukes, fruit etc. Came home, got supper started then watched PM soaps. We called at Carmen’s going to Oxford. Stopped to see Walt on way home. Tonight they are up to David’s helping him to get his hay in. I defrosted refrigerator in kitchen. Dorothea called and Milan too. Dennis started work today at Tom’s Restaurant on Main Hill. Made $40.

 

 

 

Friday, July 25, 1986

 

This Dennis second day to work. He made $75 tonight. I didn’t feel very good when I got up. I dite of dizziness which made me awful sick again. Darn that mess. I hope I don’t have it again. Betty brought supper up to Bill and Billie. Zack washed the dishes which was very nice of him. He is a very good kid, thoughtful, kind and respectful. I did a wash this morning before I got sick. Darn mess, pills, pills, it was joy more pills. I hate them so. Nice letter from Kim. Very nice and pictures too. Very good.

 

 

 

Saturday, July 26, 1986 Hot

 

This is been a very hot day. I was up, I done some odds and end jobs. Didn’t feel the very best. Betty H and Betty S got our supper tonight. Carmen called, she didn’t have to work. She came over. Dennis is working again today. I hope he will always work from now on with a family on his hands. He has to work. Betty S, Betty H and Joy up to camp all night. We had showers this PM and evening. Betty A and Carmen worked over to camp today. Carmen, Laurie and Dennis up in the evening for a swim. Dennis made 80 bucks tonight.

 

 

 

Sunday, July 27, 1986

 

Well, we got rain again today, we needed it very bad. I didn’t do very much today. I finished reading the B news. Betty came up and got the supper for us. It was nice. Dorothea called and David. David had been with Billie up to Bethel and around. Dorothea came and he went home with her. Walt up for coffee this morning. Milan and David here this morning. I didn’t feel up to par this morning. I feel better today. Carmen is very glad Dennis is working. They need the money.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment