The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, July 11, 2023

July 28 - 31, 1986

 

Monday, July 28, 1986 HAIR SET, Letters to Kim and Esther

 

I did a wash and other odd jobs. Billie to the Dr. and hospital for test etc. before he goes for his operation tomorrow. Milan and Betty called last evening. Betty and I went to Windham, over to Sebago etc. I came home, got supper. Also I got my hair set. Carmen called late tonight.

 

 

 

Tuesday, July 29, 1986 Dorothea’s birthday, 49, Billie’s other toe gone. Bill got his ear operated on also.

 

Up early to get Billie to the hospital. Had to be there at seven. Milan came and took him down. It eight they operated and took his second toe, cut to the joint. Also Bill had his ear operated on. I did the regular work, did refrigerator, washed and ironed. Dorothea came. She vacuumed the house. She called to see Billie. Walt and Betty on a trip in observance of their wedding anniversary. Zack up here for supper. We had a delicious chicken pie Dorothea made and brought down.

 


 

 

Wednesday, July 30, 1986 MORE AND MORE RAIN

 

Milan brought Billie home from NCM hospital this morning. His end of the toe was taken off. It is sore but healed up good. I washed the kitchen floor. I watched the shows today. Billie watched them also. This weather is enough to drive an angel from heaven. I hope it gets all rained out soon. Late this evening Dorothea called to see Billie and Bill. Bill says his ear was paining him. Billie’s toe is sore too.

 

 

 

Thursday, July 31, 1986 Billie to the Dr., got his toe dressed again

 

Well we had a dite of sun today. I done up the work. Made a blueberry pie. A chocolate pudding. Betty called, she, Zack, Carmen and I went to Auburn. Did my shopping. Came home in time to see two of my afternoon programs. Betty Smith called today. Zack done chores. Billie to the Dr. with his toe. He done it up again, said it was coming good.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment