The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, July 1, 2023

June 20 - 23, 1986

 

Friday, June 20, 1986 Billie to Dr. for his blood checkup, Milan gone to Canada

 

A nice sunny day but on the cold windy side. In early forenoon it rained some. I done a lot of jobs, vacuumed, dusted and washed. Mostly sunny. Billie been to doctors, he and Bill picked strawberries. I watched most of TV soaps today. Zack and Carmen called. Carmen likes her new car very much. Milan left early this morning for a three or four days to Canada with the Masons.

 

 

 

Saturday, June 21, 1986 warmer than yesterday, FLAGPOLE

 

A beautiful day. I got my work done before noon, washed floors, cleaned up again after vacuuming yesterday. Carmen came over and called a minute. She made some sandwiches (Italians) at Betty’s, brought one up for Billie and Zack. He was working for Billie. Bill and I drove down to Hiram with Betty to see a place Kate is looking at to buy. David called for a minute. Flagpole went up today. Walt, Zack and Billie. It is a nice one.

 


 


 

Sunday, June 22, 1986 STRAWBERRIES

A beautiful day. I done up the work. Bill and Billie picked more berries. I had a salad for supper. Carmen called a little while. Walt tried her new car out. In PM Fern, David and Dorothea called. Also Betty Smith walked up and called.

 

 

 

Monday, June 23, 1986

 

This morning it got cloudy and we had thunder showers. Late in PM it cleared off, became sunny and got humid. I watched soaps in PM. I washed this forenoon. Betty, Zack, Bill and I over to Carmen’s to see her fence when it was broken by a car running into it (Sammy Walsh). I hope she can collect the damages.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment