The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, April 30, 2021

June 25 - 28, 1978

 

Sunday, June 25, 1978 a beautiful day

 

This is been a very nice day on the very warm side. I done up my regular work. I put a rinse on my hair, took a long time as usual. Carmen called also Kimmy and Zak here. Billie went with Lawrence again. Bill worked on the canoe. I did a dite of wash after my hair. Betty, Walt, Dawn, Carmen, Billie D and Julie worked up at the shelter. They finished getting the roof covered. Carmen got a call, Donny can’t get off Monday. I feel so sorry for him and Carmen.

 

 

 

Monday, June 26, 1978 Cow had her calf, steer beef went today

 

A very nice day, a good drying day. I did my washing and a few other jobs. Billie worked on the canoe. Zak up hear this a.m. Betty and Dawn and kids moved today a lot of Dawn’s things up to her house. This afternoon the cow went way down in the pasture and have her calf bull. The steer we raised for beef went to be dressed today. He sucked the cow so much, had to get rid of him.

 

Curing Joy's sunburn with Bacardi and tea


 

 

 

 

Tuesday, June 27, 1978 a real hot humid summer day, COUCH.

 

I ironed, done other odd jobs. Betty, kids and Dawn here for lunch. I got ready for the couch. Betty came and we moved the old one out. She and Bill. I made a salad for supper. Also coconut custard pie. Fern, Esther and Cliff called this evening. About 7 PM my Mother’s Day couch came. This is been a very hot and humid day.

 

 

 

Wednesday, June 28, 1978 HAY DAY, DAWN MOVED

 

A very nice hay day. A good westerly wind and sun. I washed, cleaned the oven. I did some figuring. Kimmy worked hard weeding and trimming lawns so as to go swimming in PM and to the movies tonight. Bill done some weeding. Zak up today, called in on his way back and forth to the shelter. The CETA working there today. I hope they get it all done. Dawn moved into her new home today.

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment