The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, April 9, 2021

April 5 - 8, 1978

Wednesday, April 5, 1978

 

This is been a partly cloudy day. I done a big ironing then I went down to Betty’s, Fern and I. Betty and I cleaned the shed chamber. Fern wrapped Kim’s gifts. Susan had the car today. Bill stayed home all day long. The wind has been kind of cold and raw. It rained hard all night. Billie killed the hen tonight the other ones picked. Mickey Proctor called on Fern this evening.

 

 

 

Thursday, April 6, 1978 hair set

 

It was cloudy and windy. I had my hair set this morning. I also went down to Betty’s and helped to do some things to get ready for Kim’s party. I did a wash in a.m. and in PM.

 

 

 

Friday, April 7, 1978 KIM’S SLUMBER PARTY

 

It has been a cloudy day. I ironed, defrosted refrigerator, cleaned electric s for stove, washed windows, dusted, done regular work. Then I went down to Betty’s. I helped her get the house cleaned up for Kim’s slumber party. I came home and wrapped her gifts. Got supper. At seven her guests or friends all came. Zak up here tonight. Keith called. Bill and Fern watch the first ballgame today.

 

 

 

Saturday, April 8, 1978

 

A quite nice day, on the cold windy side. I done up regular work. Made bread, baked beans, did kitchen floor. Zak here all day and till afternoon. Billie done a lot of jobs. Bill seems to be gaining each day.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment