The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, April 27, 2021

June 12 - 16, 1978 Last Day of School

 

Monday, June 12, 1978 began on Dawn’s house, last week of school, to Zak’s school program

 

They have to go to school to make up the snow days they missed last winter. I washed. Went up to see Dawn’s house. I hope they will keep at it until it is all done. This afternoon I went to Zak’s school program. He was pleased I was there.

 

 

 

Tuesday, June 13, 1978

 

Well, it was sunny in a.m. but it clouded up and rain showers. I made 2 rhubarb pies, washed windows. We got some phlox plants. Bill set them out. I watched TV programs in PM.

 

 

 

Wednesday, June 14, 1978

 

Well it has cleared and it is very cool and some wind. Sure hope we don’t get a frost now. Strawberries are blossomed, garden vegetables are all up. I cleaned my electric stove, washed kitchen floor and made molasses cookies. Bill worked in the garden.

 

 

 

Thursday, June 15, 1978

 

This is Lloyd’s birthday. In a.m. Bill and I went down to see Dorothea and Dave’s new room. It looks real nice. They are very pleased with it. We came home, ate lunch, I did a few things and Susan came. We went to South Paris to see Lloyd on the 77th birthday. I missed one of my programs.

 

 

 

Friday, June 16, 1978 LAST DAY OF SCHOOL

 

A most beautiful day. A perfect hay day. I done regular work, washed, ironed, went to town with Susan, Delores and Esther. Been busy all day, we went up and got milk. Today kids all got home at noon for the summer vacation. It was such a nice day. Carmen went up to spend the PM with Donny and for supper. He goes away to work tomorrow for the summer. Man came to check the TV.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment