The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, April 24, 2021

June 2 - 4, 1978 Joy and Family are HOME for good!

 

Friday, June 2, 1978 JOY AND FAMILY CAME HOME FOR GOOD, A NEW TELEVISION

 

I done up my regular work. Went down, got my hair set. Came home, made a cake and was busy all day. Today we got a new TV at Seavy’s in North Windham. It is a Father’s Day gift from Billie to Bill. Tonight Betty and Dawn had a party for Joy and family when they got home at Joy’s. All family. These fools here didn’t go. I suppose because I did. They made me so mad. It was so foggy when they got to Portland they couldn’t land the plane. Finally there was a small break in the fog and they landed after circling half an hour. Betty had her station wagon full of luggage and Dorothea brought the most of the family. JOY AND FAMILY ARE HOME FOR GOOD. Checks came, we went to town in PM. Put the slab in at Dawn’s today.



Aunt Fern and Buddy

Nanny and Cindy



Party is over


 

 

 

 

Saturday, June 3, 1978

 

A foggy, drizzly and rainy day. It has been a miserable day. I changed beds, made bread and washed floor for extra work. Billie went with Lawrence. Zak, Kimmey and kids called. Carmen gone to Boston on a field trip, the Latin students. She had a good time. Donny Levine went too. Laurie called in evening for a little while.

 

 

 

Sunday, June 4, 1978

 

A beautiful day, sunny and clear. It seems so good after the past 2 miserable days. I did a wash. Regular work. I worked at the desk, got bills made out etc. Billie down to see Dorothea and David’s house. They called here. Kim up, also the Demings and Fern called.

No comments:

Post a Comment