The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, April 22, 2021

May 25 - 28, 1978 Memorial Weekend

Thursday, May 25, 1978 KIMMEY VERY SICK WITH ASTHMA, MINNIE OPERATED ON

 

It was cloudy in a.m. It cleared off and was quite warm. In early a.m. I went down to stay with Zak while Betty took Kimmy to the hospital for relief for her asthma. She came home with Betty, felt better for a little while then filled up again and was still sick. In a.m. Susan took Delores and me to town. In PM Betty, Fern, Susan and I went to see Lloyd. On way over we went down through Otisfield Gore over thru Oxford, got some plants for cemeteries. Saw Lloyd a few minutes. He is just the same. Came home, finished the ironing, got supper. Went down to see Kim, she is not good at all. Walt not at home tonight. Bill and Billie done all the mowing and trimming.

 

 

Friday, May 26, 1978 got Holstein heifer

 

A pretty good day. I worked at Betty’s. It was windy but nice weather. We worked up in the top of her barn. I came home and done some more washing and ironing. Tonight a three-day holiday starts the summer off.

 

 

 

Saturday, May 27, 1978

 

A very nice summer day. I changed beds, cleaned up the house etc. etc. I baked beans. Betty helped some people move, she, Dawn and Billie. The New Hope Farm had a baked sale. Not very good luck.

 

 

 

Sunday, May 28, 1978 Hot + Hot

 

A very hot day. I done my regular work. Then I went to the Cemetery with Betty, Fern, Esther and Carmen and Kim. We went to Forrest Hill and Elmvale over at South Waterford. The cemeteries look very nice. Came home, done a few odd jobs, went down to Betty’s for the first cookout. The Levine twins were there and Zenya. Billie worked down to Walt’s on the new ground. Bill helped. I made a cake for the cookout.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment