The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, April 16, 2021

May 1 - 4, 1978 BERMUDA - And Billie Gets Rest of Inheritence!

Monday, May 1, 1978 Dorothea, Betty, Carmen, Kimberly, and Zak left for Bermuda

 

It was clear and nice all forenoon then it got cloudy, windy and cloudy late in PM. It snowed, all white. Well, the Bermuda day finally got here. They left at about 6:30 AM. Dawn with Fern, Esther and I took Kim and Walt took Betty, Zak and Carmen all to the Portland airport. We saw them off. It just didn’t seem they were going. Carmen was nervous, Zak was excited, Kim and Betty just so happy and calm. It was quite cold and windy. Well we left the airport and stopped and did a dite of shopping at North Windham on the way home. Got home about 11 AM. I made a pie and molasses cookies for supper, went to town. Walt here for supper.

At the Airport in Bermuda- we changed into costumes to look like country hicks!

 


 

 

 

Tuesday, May 2, 1978

 

Clear and sunny when we got up. It was kind of cloudy and windy. I cleaned the living room. Washed windows all on the outside. I did a big wash. I cooked a chicken dinner. Walt was late getting home. I was late anyway getting supper. It was a big day doing this living room.





 

 

 

Wednesday, May 3, 1978

 

A very cold and windy day. I did a washing, cleaned the kitchen. Bill in and out today. I cooked a pot roast for supper. Walt got home early. Bill done chores at Betty’s and Dawn’s. The kitchen looked better with the new curtains and shades. Today Les Dudley called Billie, everything is all settled up and he has his money. Billie is going to see him tomorrow night.

 




 


 

Thursday, May 4, 1978 BERMUDA FOLKS RETURN HOME, BILLIE ACCOUNT SETTLED

 

The best day we have had for a long long time, sunny, no clouds or no wind. I cleaned the breezeway. I washed. I went to town. Bill took Delores and me down. Well, tonight the folks return home from Bermuda. All very tired but very happy. They had such a good time. Joy was wild as a hawk, she was so pleased and happy. Bill, Billie and I all went down to see them after they got home. They brought nice and pretty gifts and souvenirs.

 

Tonight after work Billie went to see Les Dudley. He paid him the balance on the estate of Chesley Edson. $15,493.33

 

No comments:

Post a Comment