The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, April 5, 2021

March 20 - 23, 1978 Fern Fell and Billie's Birthday

Monday, March 20, 1978 FERN FELL, Bill’s condition is not good

 

A nice sunny day. I did my wash. Got ready and went down to Betty’s. Dawn also. We got ready and Betty and Dawn painted the ceiling, woodwork and papered the walls. Also settled the room. All done before seven. All day long the phone rang and also to cap it all, Fern fell. She got her telephone, called Betty and we went right down. She had hurt her foot. So Betty took her to the hospital for x-rays. No break, but a bad bruise. So she came back and stayed at Betty’s rest of the day while I did some work for Betty. Then we came up here and she is going to stay here a couple days. Billie, Carmen and I went to see Bill tonight. He has had all kinds of tests and x-rays and the works. They will continue tomorrow. He is bleeding bad inside. He want so good tonight. A little upset. I’m worried.

 

 

 

Tuesday, March 21, 1978 Betty and Dawn papered the den

 

When we got up it was cloudy and raining. It was cloudy and dreary all day, in late PM the sun shone a little. Fern’s foot is a dite better today. She just sat and read the paper etc. I did my ironing and Betty’s. I made a custard pudding and cooked a roast pork. In evening Billie and I went down to the hospital. Bill is just the same, no tests or anything because the barium they gave him yesterday hadn’t moved. He is uneasy and nervous. Betty and Dawn did Betty’s den today.

 

Benny the white rat



 

 

 

 

Wednesday, March 22, 1978 Billie’s 47th birthday, Betty sick

 

A very nice day. Fern has improved some. I been very busy. I done regular work. I made a cake and apple pie. Made preparations for tonight. In PM Susan and I went to town but didn’t do regular shopping. Got only a few things. We went up to the hospital to see Bill. He is just the same, no better. Betty was sick all night. She didn’t go out. Walt done the chores. She came up here in evening. She was tired, but don’t feel too good yet. We had a birthday supper for Billie in evening. Hortons came up, we had ice cream and cake (made by Kim). He had his gifts.

 

 

 

Thursday, March 23, 1978

 

Well I done my regular work and did some washing. I did some ironing. In PM or soon as dinner, Susan took Delores and I down to town to shop. Betty helped Dawn, she got nearly all moved out today.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment