The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, April 4, 2021

March 17 - 19, 1978 Carmen's First Date and Bill into NCMH

Friday, March 17, 1978 CARMEN’S FIRST DATE, hair set, Bill to Dr., Bill went into NCM Hospital

 

It dawned clear, sunny and cold. But no snow as expected. I got my work done up then I did my hair and a wash. Got my hair set in a.m. Bill not good, to the Dr. today. Bill was admitted to the NCM hospital today to have x-rays and tests etc. He went to see Dr. Herman this PM and he told him he wanted him to go right to the hospital at once. He said there is a leakage of blood somewhere. They must find it. Betty and I took him in. In evening Billie took Kimmy and me to supper at Barjo’s. Carmen out on her first date was David. Betty, Kim and I to hospital to see Bill after supper. DAVID LEVINE

 

Her date must have a sense of humor!


 

 

 

Saturday, March 18, 1978

 

A very nice day. I got up early to get my work done before Dorothea came up. But she got here and she did my sweeping, dusting. I washed Windows and floors. Baked white beans. David and Billie tried the truck out. In PM after we had lunch Dorothea and I went to the hospital. Bill was more relaxed and acted rested. We stayed for quite a while then we went into see Rosalyn. She had had an operation on Friday morning the day before. She was pretty good. We called to see Dorothy Prescott on the way home. She is awful bad. She is white and very thin. Not at all good. Fern came up for supper. I made some cream tartar biscuits which they all liked very much. Keith called in evening.

 

 

 

Sunday, March 19, 1978

 

When we got up it was snowing. The ground was covered with a new snow, but stopped snowing and the sun came out, but the wind began to blow. I done my regular work. Billie showered etc. Betty called in PM. In the evening Ronald, Jeannie and little son called. Also later Betty and Walt called. They had been down to see Bill. He was in quite good spirits. Snow all melted today that came last night. Plenty of old snow left.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment