The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, April 18, 2021

May 9 - 12, 1978 Dorothy Prescott Died

Tuesday, May 9, 1978 Dorothy Marie McKeen Prescott died today

 

Cloudy and light rain falling when we got up. I cleaned the cellar today. Today Forrest called. Dorothy died at (blank) at Bridgton. She died of cancer. I called Barbara and I can get my permanent tomorrow PM.

 

 

 

Wednesday, May 10, 1978 PERMANENT

 

It was a nice day. I done a lot of work. I went down to Betty’s a little while. Then I got ready and went down and got my permanent. Bill and Billie hauled Walt’s manure out and spread it this PM and tonight.

 

 

 

Thursday, May 11, 1978 DOROTHY PRESCOTT’S FUNERAL

 

It was a nice clear day and very mild. I done up my work, made a pie, got ready to go to Dorothy’s funeral. It was a nice funeral and a large one. Very pretty flowers and she looked nice. I felt very sorry for Forrest. After funeral Esther, Susan, Fern, and Cliff called, also Betty and Dorothea were here. We talked etc. Billie getting through work early, he went to Norway and got seeds for garden etc. Dorothea went down to Betty’s to see her shelf then she came back up here for supper. She, Bill and I went up to see them at the shelter. A crew up there working tonight.

 

 

 

Friday, May 12, 1978

 

It was nice and sunny in morning. Got kind of cloudy in PM. In a.m. early I washed, done up the housework. Dawn to Betty’s, she hurt her neck. Susan, Delores and I went to town. Then I came home, washed windows, brought up some screens, cleaned them and put them on. I got a chance to watch my programs today.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment