The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, April 23, 2021

May 29 - June 1, 1978

Monday, May 29, 1978 HOT got another new cow or heifer, a brockle head

 

This is been a very very hot day. I didn’t get up very early, 7:30. Got breakfast, I done a huge wash and done regular work. I picked another mess of greens. I watched programs. Billie and I went to the Cemetery. Billie worked at Walt’s on the new ground again today. Betty had the kids do the trimming. Walt helped, also they all planted their garden. Mr. Saltman came today and took the boat and all the things Bill had fixed for him. Billie got another head to help eat up the grass in pasture.

 

 

 

Tuesday, May 30, 1978

 

Another very hot day. I have a lot to do but I went down to Betty’s and helped her get her house cleaned. I came home in PM and did a big ironing and defrosted my kitchen refrigerator. Billie had a mouth operation on his gums.

 

 

Wednesday, May 31, 1978

 

Betty and Dawn very busy at Joy’s. Bill mowed lawns. I done my regular work and some odds and end jobs. Billie home early from work. His mouth is kind of sore. Fern and Esther called in evening.

 

 

 

Thursday, June 1, 1978 Sawdust

 

Well a miserable cloudy drizzly day. It started to be but it cleared away and was nice and sunny day. I did a big wash. They dried good. Billie did not work, he hauled sawdust from Fryeburg. Also worked down to Walt’s. Bill and I went down to Dorothea’s, her house looks so nice and most done. We looked at TVs at Hawke’s and Seavy’s. Betty still busy, she and Dawn. Dawn moved out and to Betty’s till they get her house ready.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment