The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, April 10, 2021

April 9 - 11, 1978 Kim's 12th Birthday Party

Sunday, April 9, 1978 Kim had her birthday party today

 

A quite nice day, on the cool side and windy. I didn’t get up too early. I did up the regular work. I washed my sheets, they dried good. We went down to Betty’s for Kim’s birthday. She got a lot of nice gifts and enjoyed her day very much. They had ice cream and cake. A most beautiful cake which was made by Dorothea. It was a beautiful cake. When we came home Dorothea came with us and was here for a milk toast supper.

 







 

 

 

 

Monday, April 10, 1978 cleaned at Betty’s

 

A very nice sunny day. I did a big wash. I did my ironing. Then went down to Betty’s and we did a lot of cleaning. Done Carmen and Kim’s rooms and Fern went and done the washing and made a onion soup for their supper. She was a big help. Got word from Esther. They are coming tomorrow.

 

 

 

Tuesday, April 11, 1978 ES AND CLIFF CAME, FERN WENT HOME

 

A cloudy rainy day. I done a big ironing this morning, done up the housework. Got ready to go to Betty’s to clean. Raining hard all day. We cleaned Zak’s room, the dark bedroom, upstairs bathroom, and hall today. Dawn done some more painting. Fern worked on the washing etc. Today at about 3, Es and Cliff came. They came over here in evening to get Fern. Fern has been here three weeks and one day after she fell.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment