The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

September 2 - 6, 1963 Carmen Gets First 3 Teeth




Monday, September 2, 1963 Dorothea Called, Carmen Got Tooth

A very nice day. I washed and washed. Betty done all the housework. In p.m. she and Billie up to Chet’s to hay. Bill didn’t work. Holiday. Enjoyed talking to Dorothea. After supper Betty done all the work. Bill, Carmen and I took a long long ride. Carmen has a tooth. Dorothea called.



Tuesday, September 3, 1963

Cloudy. I churned, cooked. In evening Betty and I ironed. Fern, Lloyd called and Ken and Dolores. Late getting up this morning. Fern and Lloyd went to Portland today. Betty sent (?) by them, got a car seat.



Wednesday, September 4, 1963

A nice day. Betty, Carmen and I to Portland with Blanche. We checked on car rentals etc. Also buses. Called to see Lorraine. Didn’t get home very early. Mama alone all day. Finished the haying at Chet’s. Betty and Billie did. School began again today. I have no one in school.



Thursday, September 5, 1963 FIRST FROST

Oil came. Very cold this morning. Got warmer during the day. Betty to the dentist at Kings Shopping Center. Dr. Ross. Blanche, Carmen and I went with her. Betty got some clothes for Carmen. Billie sick with flu. Kay and Julie called in late p.m. Betty down to Kay’s getting her hair cut. Carmen has her second tooth.



Friday, September 6, 1963

Cloudy and showers. I cleaned the kitchen. Betty sick. I have been so busy. Betty, Carmen and I to town after supper. I am getting the kitchen ready to paint the floor tomorrow. Billie better today. Carmen has her third tooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment