The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, May 6, 2017

May 29 - June 1, 1963 Memorial Day



Wednesday, May 29, 1963

Cloudy. Rushed around this morning to get ready to go to the cemetery over to East Stoneham. Aunt Ava, Mama, Betty, Carmen and I. In a.m. Betty and I to town. We went for a long ride over through to W. Stoneham, Lovell and Fryeburg. Betty came home, made cookies. Took some up to Lil and Chet. I wrote to Dorothea and family. In evening I cleaned my desk draws. Rained hard. Betty down town in evening.


Thursday, May 30, 1963 Memorial Day

Cloudy all a.m. Cleared in PM. Billie got my flower gardens ready. We got the Dahlia set out. Doreen and Larry came over. Aunt Ava called. David Nevers, Kennie, Dot, Art Ward and family and Kennard. Also Brud and Nona called, they came down from Stoneham to get Dolores. Julie and Bonnie called. Betty and kids gone to movies with them. Leavitt boy ran away.



Friday, May 31, 1963

A very nice HOT (day). I washed. Betty and Doreen done up the housework. I finished setting dahlias out, finished trimming grass. I was busy all day. I ironed. Phil Hunt’s family called. Kids and I to town after supper. In evening they went to movies. LETTER FROM MIKE



Saturday, June 1, 1963

Another one of those very nice hot days. We got the work done. I churned and cooked. In p.m. we took the kids home, Larry and Doreen. Betty, Larry and I over to the Fantastic Fair. I bought two very pretty dresses and some other things. Came home, made biscuits. Bob and Blanche, Joy, Buddy and girls here. We ate outside and Fern. Kennard called.






No comments:

Post a Comment