The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, May 29, 2017

August 29 - September 1, 1963



Thursday, August 29, 1963

Cloudy and showers. Betty down to Dawn’s. They went to Cornish to look at a dog. In p.m. they came up to town and up here for supper. In evening they took Lil to see a dog. Alice came and got Timmy. He was sick all day. Bill back to work.



Friday, August 30, 1963

Rain, cloudy all day. I cleaned up the house. Clipped Lassie’s hair. Dolores called. Betty and I to Harrison and to town last night. Billie up to Lil’s in evening. I wrote Dorothea we won’t be coming out. Art’s cow went home.



Saturday, August 31, 1963

Partly cloudy in some thunder shower. I cooked, done up the work. I showed some beans. Betty and I went over to aunt Ava’s. She is better, went up to Lil’s, went down and got Fern for supper. Betty over to the Lydia’s after supper. Bill and Allie are ugly today. Blanche called, our Michigan trip is off.



Sunday, September 1, 1963

Sunny today. A nice day. First time we have seen the sun for three or four days. Betty to town then up to Lil’s. Mama up to Kennard’s. She is upset. We had a very peaceful quiet day. Fern, Lloyd called. Rowena and her husband and baby. I worked on shell beans. Carmen very sick.


No comments:

Post a Comment