The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

August 10 - 13, 1963 Norma and Susan Head Home




Saturday, August 10, 1963 NORMA LEFT

Fair, cooler, windy. I churned. McCarron’s and Fern and Lloyd called. They brought Penny up for the day. They took a ride up to Andover to Telstar. Betty, Mike, Carmen and I to town. Susan and Betty over to North Bridgton beach. Betty and Mike went over to Auburn tonight to stay for a few days. Also Carmen. Anne, Alice and Timmy came over after that. It sure seems quiet here with Carmen gone. Milan and family left about 3:30 AM. Seems lonely without Norma. Billie mowed up to Chet’s.



Sunday, August 11, 1963 SUSAN LEFT

Fair in a.m. Bill and I down to Fern and Lloyd’s with Susan for a nice turkey dinner. Susan hated to go home. She wanted to see her family yet she enjoyed being up here. Aunt Ava and Uncle Lewis here with Mama. Missed Carmen today. Well Susan has been gone three hours. She is a sweet kid. Billie haying up to Chet’s. Black clouds. Billie got a brockle face steer today.



Monday, August 12, 1963

A nice day, on the cool side. I washed. Got my washing done real early. Done vegetables from the garden. Done some ironing after supper. Down to Jean’s in evening. It seems so quiet with Carmen gone. Also it is an empty place here. Today no kids around. I miss them all.



Tuesday, August 13, 1963

Cloudy and rainy all day. I finished my ironing. Cleaned up the back porch. Also cleaned up all the upstairs. Got things back to normal. I missed Carmen. Billie’s new cow got out and went way down as far as Ed Howe’s. Bobby and Amy got her home.

No comments:

Post a Comment